OMSI After Dark Offers Music and Science for “Geeks Gone Wild” 21+ Crowd
July Event Showcases Popular Local Bands Wild Ones and Mimicking Birds;
Local bands are the newe 1fc1 st feature of the popular adult event OMSI After Dark, known for kid-free, brain-building science fun for the 21+ crowd!
July Local Bands in Concert: Wild Ones and Mimicking Birds
Wild Ones started with Danielle Sullivan and Thomas Himes in 2009 as a synth-pop duo and quickly evolved to include bass player Clayton Knapp and drummer Andy Parker and produce its debut EP "You're a Winner."
Having toured with Modest Mouse and played at festivals such as Austin City Limits and Lollapalooza, Mimicking Birds is no stranger to large crowds. With lush vocals and a deeply toned acoustic guitar, their songs are ethereal, pensive and austere.
July Science Theme: Jet Packs and RoboMaids: The Future That Never Happened!
Whatever happened with jetpacks, robot maids, hovercrafts, and holodecks? A whole lotta nothing! Explore the future that never happened and the tech that just didn’t take.
Interactive Demos and Activities:
* Nano Pants – See the science behind fabric that will repel water
* Flaming Tubes and Good Vibes – These flames can groove to the music
* Mind Games – Play video games using only your noggin
* Holograms – Make a hologram and see it in action
* Segway Rides – Whiz around on the transportation of the future
* Exploding Ping Pong Balls – Liquid nitrogen + enclosed container
* Quiz to the Future – Wild? Or eerily accurate? Explore predictions throughout time
* Magic Wallet – Financial planning using simple household items
WHEN: Wednesday, July 25 7 to 11 p.m.; concerts will be at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.
WHERE: OMSI, inside and out!
COST: Regular tickets will be $18 and include OMSI After Dark and the concert. $9 for OMSI members. FREE for OMSI After Dark members
Visit http://www.omsi.edu/afterdark to learn more about the current exhibitions on display, local artisans and services featured at the event, and the evening’s themed food and drink menu.